Residence types in Turkey 2022
There are many types of residence in Turkey according to the reason for its issuance; Whether for tourism, investment, work, study, or for humanitarian reasons, under which the government gives the foreigner permission to stay in the country legally.
What are the types of residence permits in Turkey? How long is it? In addition, what are the conditions for extracting it? This is what we will discuss in some detail in this article from Taksim Real Estate Consulting...
1- Short Term Residence Permit
A short-term residence is granted to a foreigner who has entered the Turkish territory legally, and its duration is from one year to a maximum of 5 years, according to the type of residence.
Who can get short-term residence in Turkey ?
• Whoever resides in the country for tourism purposes, or has commercial relations, and wants to stay in the country for more than 3 months, known as the tourist residence in Turkey.
• Real estate owners, provided that the property is used for housing, it is known as a real estate residence in Turkey and is not given to family members unless they have a share in the property.
• The foreign employee of one of the companies operating under the umbrella of the Republic of Turkey, known as the work residence in Turkey.
• A foreigner who has invested in the Turkish market at the value set by the Council of Ministers, his wife, and children, and for 5 years, is known as the investor's residence in Turkey.
• Foreigners who come to Turkey to do scientific research, or to take a Turkish language course.
• Patients who come to Turkey for treatment, and their companions.
Conditions for obtaining a work permit in Turkey
• The employee must be registered with the Social Insurance Institution SGK.
• The employee obtained a tourist residence in advance.
• The company's cadre should include 5 Turkish employees for each foreign employee.
2- Family Residence Permit in Turkey
Under the father or mother obtaining a residence permit in Turkey, All family members under the age of 18 obtain a family residence permit for a maximum period of 3 years, for the same period of residence as the grantor.
Who gets family residency in Turkey?
• Husband/wife of a Turkish citizen.
• Whoever was born with Turkish citizenship and then lost it as a result of leaving Turkey.
• The family of a foreign employee with a residence permit in Turkey.
• The resident is under exceptional protection, for not fulfilling the conditions of asylum, but his return to his country poses a danger to his life.
3- Student residence in Turkey
It is a one-year residency granted to students studying in Turkish educational institutions, and it is renewed according to the number of years of study. If the period specified for the study of the foreign student is less than a year, the period of residence cannot exceed the period of education.
To whom student residence is granted in Turkey?
• Foreign students who are studying for a bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree, in a Turkish university.
• Students who receive their primary and secondary education in a Turkish school, and who do not have family residency.
• Under this residence permit, the student's family, such as the wife and children, obtains the family residence.
4- Permanent residence in Turkey
It is a long-term residence without borders, obtained by a foreigner who has resided in Turkey for 8 years without interruption, according to the conditions set by the Turkish Ministry of Interior.
Conditions for a foreigner to obtain permanent residence in Turkey
• To be a resident of the Republic of Turkey for 8 consecutive years.
• He has not received social assistance in the last 3 years.
• To have a regular income sufficient to support him/her.
• He has valid health insurance.
• Not a threat to Turkey's public security.
5- Humanitarian Residence Permit
This type of residence is issued for humanitarian motives, to foreigners whose conditions of return to their countries pose a threat to their lives, and the duration of the residence is determined by the Turkish Ministry of the Interior in coordination with the General Directorate of Migration Management, according to each case.
6- Residence Permit for Human Trafficking Victims
This residency is issued for expatriates who have been victims of human trafficking, for 30 days, and is renewed for a maximum of 6 months each time, if the renewal periods do not exceed 3 years.
This was a quick overview of the types of residence in Turkey, the duration of each of them, and the conditions for obtaining them.
If you would like to know more about the types of residence permits in Turkey; Do not hesitate to contact us at Taksim Real Estate Consulting, and our legal team will be happy to provide adequate answers to your inquiries .. Contact us now!
Editing: Taksim Real Estate Consulting ©