Turkish citizenship by buying a property .. conditions and documents required
On 18/9/2018 Presidential Decree No. (106) was issued, whereby Article (46) of the Turkish Nationality Law No. 5901 of 2009 was amended.
Under this Decree, foreigners who purchase a property in Turkey at a value of at least $ 250,000 , With their pledge not to sell the property for 3 years from the date of registration in the land registry, can apply for Turkish citizenship.
Later, the executive regulations that explain the mechanism of implementation of this Decree were issued, and subsequent amendments were issued after it began to be implemented and after the real estate investors applied for citizenship.
And now we can say that the picture has become fully clear about the decree and its amendments and the mechanism of implementation, and we will explain this in the following points:
1- A real estate appraisal must be obtained through government-approved rating institutions, and not only the price recorded in the title deed. and th application for citizenship must apply within 3 months of the date of this appraisal.
2- The official value of the property registered in the title deed can not be lower than the value mentioned in the above appraisal.
3- The purchase price will be calculated in american dollars (at the Central Bank of Turkey's rate of exchange) on the day of obtaining the deed of title (Tapu), not the day of the contract or purchase at the Notary.
4- The price of the property must be paid by bank transfers exclusively (not accepted by cash). The application for citizenship must contain a dispatch receipt signed by the sending bank and receipt from the receiving bank.
(Note: Paying the price of the property by bank transfer from outside Turkey exempts the buyer from VAT).
5- It is not possible to buy a property from a foreigner to obtain citizenship even if he is a wife or child, but must be purchased from a Turkish citizen or company.
6- For properties that are still under construction, a construction servitude must be obtained, also organizing a sale promise contract and ratifying it at the Notary, But subject to the payment of the required value of US $ 250,000.
7- The value of the property in the title deed and in the real estate appraisal should be slightly higher than $ 250,000 to avoid any problems relating to exchange rate changes during the application.
8- An explanation will be made in the real estate register that this property can not be sold for 3 years from the date of registration in order to obtain citizenship.
9- The property must have been purchased after the date of the decision, which is after 19/9/2018. (This paragraph was amended on 30/5/2019, where the amendment allowed real estate to be purchased before the mentioned date, provided that the title deed was issued after 19/9/2018).
10- Several properties can be purchased with a total combined value of more than $ 250,000, and all relevant documents must be included in a single application.
11- The applicant can appoint a lawyer to follow up all these procedures. Except in specific cases requiring his or her personal attendance.
The documents required to apply for Turkish citizenship in return for buying a property:
• Filling the application in large Latin letters without shortage or errors, and signing the application by the owner of the applicant.
• A copy of the passport of the buyer, his wife and children under the age of 18 years, certified by the notary.
• Original payment receipts from the buyer's account, and original receipt receipts from the seller's account.
• valid real estate appraisal.
• A copy of the title deed (Tapu), or the promise of sale contract certified by the notary.
• A special power of attorney to apply for citizenship to a law firm to follow up the file.
• A copy of the applicant criminal record.
• 4 Personal photos (biometric).
• The same documents are required for both husband and wife.
Documents required to apply for Turkish citizenship to children under the age of 18 years:
• Birth certificate of the child.
• birth statement
• consent of one of the parents to the other (In the case of separation of parents and the children lived with one of them).
• Marriage contract for parents.
We usually in Taksim Real Estate do all the procedures on behalf of our clients by making a POA to our company's lawyer and the lawyer will follow it up till our client get his Turkish citizenship . Contact us for more details.
Read Also :
• 10 points you have to read well before singing a property sales contract in Turkey
• Can foreigners buy a property in Turkey ?
• How to buy a property in Turkey in 10 steps ?
• Property taxes in Turkey